My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Thursday, February 04, 2010

My Uncle Cy...


Throughout my life, there has always been one man I could depend on to be strong, supportive, intelligent, wise, loving and fun. No, he wasn’t my father or my stepdad, Jack. He is my mom’s “little bubba,” pictured with her above, my remarkable “Uncle Cy,” also known as “Dick MacNair.” In my experience, no one could ever match his talent for listening. He asked questions and listened to my answers. He always had empathy. And he and his wife, my late dear Aunt Carla, were the people who kept our extended family together. They kept in touch with all of the cousins and organized family reunions to be sure we stayed connected.

Today my amazing uncle is “winding down” at the Board and Care where he resides, and is on hospice after a massive stroke last week that took away his ability to talk. He may have only hours to live. This is particularly hard for me because of losing Mom less than a month ago, but it’s hard for everyone in our family because he has been our "glue."

I think perhaps the best tribute to Uncle Cy will be for all of his beloved children, nieces, nephews, grandchildren and great-grandchildren to commit to carry on with the reunions and other opportunities to gather our family together, even if we hardly know one another now. I’ve loved spending time with my cousins in recent years, even though it’s mostly been at sad occasions like funerals. We had a great summer party two years ago. Uncle Cy would want us to do that again!

I know my mom, stepdad, grandmother and Uncle Cy’s beautiful Carla are going to be right there to greet him when he “crosses over,” probably with drinks in hand! They loved their cocktails. Tonight I’m going to sit by myself and enjoy the thought of them toasting each other and the fulfilling lives they enjoyed so much and I’m going to focus on my gratitude to be part of such a brilliant family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home