My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Through the Eyes of a Child



I posted on Facebook tonight that whoever said we experience the magic of Christmas through the eyes and hearts of children was brilliant. Some people might say, "duh." But for those of us who never had children of our own, it's not always easy to make that connection. Thankfully, it's easier for me now because I have grandchildren. Yes, I married into them. I married a man who had a good son - and that son married a wonderful woman and they have two adorable children. Believe me, none of us are perfect by any means. We're a family, with all its imperfections. But the good news is that we love each other - and we love our extended family members too. Most of all, we love the little ones - and for Gary and me, that's Keegan and Kendall.

The other night when we went to see the annual Newport Harbor Parade of Lights, everyone was a bit tired after we enjoyed a pre-parade dinner at Wilma's Patio on Balboa Island. Papa was coming down with a cold. Kendall was crabby and her parents scoped out a great spot on the South Bayfront sea wall very close to Marine, the island's main street where our cars were parked. That left only me and Keegan to venture off down the bayfront walk in search of homes with great light displays. I had the divine privilege of taking Keegan's hand and bustling through the crowds till we found the house with the Santa on a trapzeze that crosses the walkway, a merry-go-round of reindeer, Santas on the rooftop and enough lights to give the Griswolds a run for their money. Just as we arrived at this amazing display of lights-cameras-action, the first boat in the parade was arriving. I pulled out my camera and took these photos of my precious grandson merrily enjoying the harbor lights.

I've been to dozens of these parades since I was a child and none has been more happily moving for me than this one, spent with an incredulous, excited five year-old boy. This is the eternal gift of special holiday memories....

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sorry, but this child cannot be wearing a Trojans sweatshirt. I'm going to send him and his sister UW apparel ASAP!!!

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home