My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Home to Friends and Family

All of the new networking opportunities such as Facebook and LinkedIn offer such great ways to keep in touch with old friends, but at the same time, when one is encumbered with family issues and crises, it's hard to simply let everyone know how much I appreciate them. So this is it: I LOVE YOU ALL....I APPRECIATE YOU.....I CARE ABOUT YOU AND AM GRATEFUL YOU ARE IN MY LIFE!!!!! This is the total, consummate truth for me. Email me and I'll respond!

Mom goes home to her assisted living community tomorrow. This is a miracle. Recently I heard that 25% of the people who suffer a hip fracture at age 65 or above die within six months of the fracture. My mom fell and broke her hip on May 7th. She has been a trooper. The first couple of weeks were horrible because she was in so much pain and she was also on pain medication. She's been weaned off the med's and she's been a good soldier about her physical therapy. Mom has been supported by family and friends who cared to go and see her - my husband, Gary; her best friend, Ellie and Ellie's daughter - who is one of my best friends - Laurie; Mom's brother Cy (aka Dick), and his daughter, Janet; niece Jill and her husband Mike, niece Margie and son Christopher; my brother, John; "Saint Norma" our caregiver, her son, Francisco, and finally my dad, Jack. Mom is in the 75% who survive hip fracture and get to go home - primarily because of her connection with family and friends.

Amazingly, Mom's newest friends had the most profound impact on her recovery. NEVER underestimate the POWER of a new friend. At Tustin Rehab, Mom's wonderful roommate, Mary Ellen, helped her to think about all the good things to be enjoyed in life right now, such as her grandchildren, her dog, and the taste of chocolate. Together they thought of better stuff to eat than what was on the menu, and had no trouble requesting better things to eat. I loved arriving in the afternoon to find them engaged in conversation while enjoying vanilla ice cream, chocolate chip cookies or frozen yogurt.

In Santa Ana at Care House's "Express Recovery" unit, Mom embraced her physical therapy and honed her cognitive skills talking about life and everything on TV with her new roommate, Rebecca. Initially Mom was upset being in Rebecca's room because Mom feared Rebecca might be dying. Amazingly, both Mom and Rebecca had the same doctor, and even the same appointment at the doc's office 10 miles away. They became fast friends as each discussed their options with the doctor. I was there that day and I was incredulous when Rebecca entered the doc's office with her daughter, Karla, who was wearing a blouse I almost wore to work that morning! Needless to say, Rebecca, Karla, Mom and I will share a bond forever. As Mom and Rebecca enjoy their "roommate friendship," Karla and I are planning a luncheon with our mothers, sure to happen very soon because Rebecca is also "getting out" this week. Thank you to Care House for sincere support and recovery!

Life always brings many challenges and opportunities. Smile. Enjoy. Pick up the pieces. Extend your hand to a stranger. It's all over so soon; why not have some fun while you can?

I'm very happy that my mom is going home to her husband and her dog. And I'm delighted that first roommate Mary Ellen and second roommate, Becky, are going home too. Life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home