My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Valentine Milestone


Three years ago today, my sister and I moved our parents into a lovely assisted living community. You would have thought we'd taken them to a slaughterhouse. They were horrified and did not cooperate with us or the movers. Thankfully, my niece, Hannah, was with us and she took both of her grandparents into my mom's bedroom and all three of them curled up in the big bed and watched Live with Regis & Kelly and The View together while the movers did their thing.

When we arrived at their new place, the big bed and the bedroom TV were the first things out of the truck, so once again, they got into the bed with Hannah and watched Oprah and Ellen until it was time to go downstairs for their first dinner in the dining room. Mom and Jack didn't want to go, but my sister and I and our husbands and Hannah said we were staying for dinner because it was supposedly a fun Valentine's Day party. My parents wanted nothing to do with it, but they were hungry, so they followed us downstairs. All ladies were presented with roses when we entered the room. We had reserved a big table for the whole family. Everyone was dressed to the nines, except for us because we had been moving all day. I remember feeling a little embarassed, but I was determined to be positive for my parents' sake. There was live music and couples were dancing. Several young men from UC Irvine had come as volunteers to dance with the single ladies. I thought it was wonderful. My parents hated every minute.

They continued to hate the place for several months. And then they started to make some friends. Gradually, they began to enjoy their new home. Tonight is their "third anniversary" living in their little palace and they have been excited about the "Sweethearts Ball" for a week. Mom has planned her special outfit, Jack is wearing a blue blazer and they have a special table with their "best friends," Eva and Jim. Yes, it's expensive for them to live at this location, but they are safe and cared for, and they love it. Forget the candy, flowers and cards; their happiness is now my favorite part of Valentine's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home