My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Puppy Love

You may have noticed that I haven't been good about posting the past few weeks. Yes, I'm busy with work, my parents and volunteer projects, but my most time-consuming gig is caring for our new puppy, Bindi. She joined our family on February 10th, thanks to my sister, Meg, and her family. It's a long story, but I'll do a "Cliff's Notes message" just so you know how we wound up with a pup.

Last summer we held a big benefit BBQ at the ranch. The day before the event, Nick, a former pro rodeo bull-rider dude who serves as ranch foreman and owns his own bucking bulls, introduced our extended family to his new puppy, Peanut, the most adorable creature Meg and I had ever seen. She was a "new breed" of cattle dog - 7/8 Welsh Corgi and 1/8 Queensland Blue Heeler. Meg and I simultaneously said, "I want one." Long story short, we got "sister puppies" last month. Bindi and her half-sister, Lucy (same dads, different moms), rode to the ranch from Texas on a PBR bucking bull truck. They came from the breeder, complete with parasites and fleas, but with the cutest faces and very best personalities! Meg and Ted took them to the vet in the desert before delivering Bindi to us at the beach. We fell in love instantly and as soon as I can post a photo of Bindi's adorable face, I'll do it. She is named after the Crocodile Hunter's daughter, Bindi Sue Irwin - and we do call her Bindi Sue! Apparently Bindi means "little girl" in the Australian Aboriginal language. I think the Irwin's named their daugher after Steve's favorite crocodile. Whatever...I loved the name and it's perfect because our doggy is part Aussie.

If you know our 11 year-old dog, Vanna, you may know that her nickname is "Princess Dimstar" because she's not very bright, but she's a beautiful, sweet and loving princess. A week after Bindi arrived, Gary nicknamed her "Princess Krypton" because she fears nothing. Yes, she's the cutest puppy on the planet because we are in love with her and biased. In the morning or at night when I would usually post a message on my blog, I'm now out playing with Bindi because she demands playtime. We still have the other members of our "zoo" to care for - Poudre (17 year-old cat), struggling to maintain his monarch status with this little alpha dog; Molly (5 year-old cat) who can't figure out where she now rates in the food chain; and dear Vanna who absolutely hates the puppy because she knows Bindi will soon rule Planet Ingram. Who knew?

We trust the Ingram Animal Kingdom will settle down into a new routine in the next few weeks. Our vet told us to be patient because we "picked a doozy" of an intelligent, dominant puppy to bring into the fold. Meanwhile, we are watching "The Dog Whisperer" every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home