My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Time Flies

Wow, I can't believe it's been over a month since my last posting. Another example of "life is what happens when you're making other plans." When we last communicated, I was starting my new job on April 1st, the day after I attended the Hollywood premiere of "Leatherheads" and did NOT get to set my eyes on George Clooney (I have a great photo of his table, with no one there). My new job is sensational - all-consuming, rewarding and wonderful, with a few little glitches here and there, mostly because it's so all-consuming, rewarding and wonderful. I love it. It would take an entire post to tell you about the remarkable company that is Silverado Senior Living, so I'll wait till another time to do so.

This time, I must post about my mom, the beautiful Marianne. Four days ago, she fell in the elevator at her assisted living community and this time she didn't bounce. She fractured her hip. She had surgery on Friday evening to replace the hip and the anasthesia has not been kind to her. Gary and I spent time with her today and brought her several cards and gifts from friends, plus her Mother's Day goodies. She loved that, even if she didn't really understand what the celebration was about, or what the get well wishes were for. She changes the story of what happened to her every other conversation, which is really amusing. For instance, she told the physical therapist that she fell down an elevator shaft. When my brother called her, she told him she fell off the diving board into the pool. Yesterday she told me she had fallen off the balcony. Her mind is obviously very active!

We ask that everyone who wants to send get-well wishes simply pray for her not to be in pain. The pain has been excruciating for her the past two days, and she has refused physical therapy, which is not good. We pray that she accepts this gift now.

Meanwhile, my stepdad, Jack, is at home on hospice. He was admitted to the hospital the same week I started my new job, with complications from congestive heart failure, and was there for five days. He subsequently decided he doesn't want to go back to the hospital any more, so now he's happy at home with a hospital bed, people to talk to, and an unlimited supply of adult diapers. Life is good, even as the end approaches. Jack thinks he would like to go to the hospital to see Mom, but he knows he can't - and somehow I think Mom knows that too. At the hospital, I hold the phone up to Mom's ear so Jack can talk to her. It's very poignant and sweet.

With all this going on, I have learned that the Universe knows I'm strong, so I still am gifted with situations that try my patience, bruise my ego and make me feel very small, even though I know I'm a big girl. I love working for a company whose corporate vision is "Love is greater than fear." Hello? That's what I wrote about in the last chapter of my book - and here it is - manifested for me to embrace. Yet I know when that's your vision, you will be tested. Silverado is up to the task, and so am I.

Thanks for all the e-mails I have received in the past six weeks from my gentle readers. Please know that it's ok to post comments too. It's hard for me to answer all the email messages now that I'm working full-time; and I will indeed keep trying!

Tonight I will end with a quote that is in my book - one of my favorites of all time, from the brilliant Eleanor Roosevelt: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Love and light to you, my friends...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home