My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Extraordinary Care

I'm seeking a full-time job after five years of caring for my parents, authoring a book, freelance writing and consulting. This time out in the marketing arena, I want to do something I love. It won't be corporate travel management. I hope to find a fulfilling job in senior services, education or non-profit. This past week, as part of the interview process for a marketing position with Silverado Senior Living, I paid a visit to one of Silverado's assisted living communities. Silverado's residents are people with dementia and Alzheimer's. I dropped by their Newport-Mesa community because it's close to my home.

A couple of years ago, my stepdad, Jack was in a local skilled nursing facility for eight weeks. It's considered one of the best in the coastal communities of Orange County. Sadly, my sister and I had to be there every day to serve as his advocates because he was often left sitting in a wheelchair in the hallway for hours and he told us the dining room staff was rude to him.

When I entered the Silverado building, I was greeted by the receptionist who reached out to shake my hand. Her name was Bettie. I told her I was interviewing for a job with Silverado's corporate office and wanted to see what their communities are like. I noticed a big orange and white cat sitting next to her desk. She told me that pets are an important part of the lifestyle. About that time, a woman came into the foyer carrying a plate with a sandwich and some cole slaw. Her badge identified her as "Heidi - Family Ambassador" and she smiled when Bettie told her I had come to check out the facility. "I'll give you a tour right now," Heidi said. "What about your lunch?" I asked. "I can eat my sandwich later."

Heidi was very cheerful and open as we walked around looking at the clean and bright rooms. The residents were clean and seemed to be content. They were in different "country kitchens" and dining areas throughout the property. "We have no right angles here, the hallways meander, as do the walkways outside because we don't want our residents to be faced with difficult decisions," Heidi said. A big old greyhound came down the hall toward us. Heidi introduced him as "Willy, one of our older residents." I laughed. Then we looked into another room and there was fat orange cat on the bed. "That's Simba," Heidi said. "He was very skittish until he met Mary who lives in this room. Mary was a 'catwoman' before she moved in with us. She used to collect strays in her neighborhood. She is the only one who could settle down our Simba and now he spends all his time with her." It was a good story for someone like me who has four pets at home. I gave Heidi one of my books before I left.

I must say - and this is not because I'm in the job interview process - Silverado is like the Disneyland of assisted living communities. Their communities are extraordinary. Clean, bright, filled with caring people and residents who seem to be enjoying themselves, even in various states of dementia. I loved my tour. If my mom gets to a point where she can't live at her place any more, I now know where to take her!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home