My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Adventure Beckons


Five years ago, Gary and I moved from Denver to California so that I could care for my elderly parents. I spent two years caring for them full-time, then they moved into assisted living and I've cared for them part-time since 2005. I worked part-time from my home office as a writer and consultant during the past three years and wrote my first book, The Heart Way - A Journey from Corporate to Care. It's been a joy to work at home with my dog, Vanna, by my side every day.

Times change. The costs of assisted living and eldercare are high. My parents have lots of assests and not much cash, so my sister and her family and my husband and I have helped to pay for care. This past fall, I decided it's time for me to go back to work full-time and I began my job search January 2nd. I'm excited about finding a job and a company that matches my passion and enthusiasm for marketing, communications, training, publishing and people. I'm interested in industries that relate to what I've been doing the past few years - namely senior services, education, publishing, hospitality and non-profit.

The other part of our adventure is exciting, but also sad. Gary and I have decided to sell our home on Flower Street. We have been trying to refinance for three months, but the mortgage crisis came at a bad time for our needs. We've grieved over the decision, but we agreed to face 2008 with a positive attitude and simply move on to something more affordable for us in today's climate. We'll stay in Orange County, but may move inland. As Gary always says, "Release it to the universe."

Thank you, dear friends and readers, for your wonderful support and compassion. We're in good spirits and see our home selling quickly because it's such a great property. I will keep you posted. Thank goodness I'm still channelling Tinker Bell after all these years!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home