My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Bailey's Christmas Chew Toy

I received an emergency call from Mom yesterday morning. Gary and I were planning to take Mom and Jack out for a festive pre-Christmas lunch because they didn't feel up to going to church with us on Chritmas Eve, then spending most of Christmas Day with the extended family at our home. I never expect these little crises that seem to arise whenever we have big plans. When I answered the phone, Mom said in her most fretful tone, "Honey, we have a problem. Bailey chewed up Jack's teeth during the night and we don't know what to do." Sure enough, Bailey the Porky Poodle had stolen Jack's upper false teeth from the nightstand, no doubt believing Santa had left him a new chew toy. I told Mom I would call Jack's dentist to see if they were open and get back to her as soon as I could.

The dental office was closed. I called the nursing staff at the Inn at the Park and they said maybe Jack could just eat soft foods till after Christmas. A rhyme popped into my head - "A Christmas so cruel that Jack must eat gruel..." NO WAY, I said to myself. Erase that stupid thought because this is not going to ruin our family celebration.

Moments later, Saint Norma the Caregiver called to say she had arrived at the folks' apartment and believed she could wash the "broken teeth" and fix them so that Jack would be able to enjoy more than cream soup for Christmas. Thank God and Norma, who's obviously in close touch with Him, because an hour later, all of his teeth were in his mouth.

Jack opted out of lunch yesterday, which was just as well because it wasn't very good. This morning, my parents were raring to get to our house for the day's festivities. Jack's smile was a little crooked and he said he didn't want to keep his teeth in all day because they hurt. Nevertheless, he had Bailey with him, even after I'd asked them to leave Bailey at the apartment because I have big dogs at my house today. "But he can't stay alone on Christmas," Mom cried. "Oh, okay," I said. "Put him in the back seat." And off we went to my house.

Jack was still flashing his crooked smile when Bailey roared past him through our front door, went straight to the packages under the tree and peed on one of my gifts. Serves me right for thinking he could be home alone on Christmas Day. Next year, I'll stock some doggy Depends along with the others I have on hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home