My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Deadline Looms

Last February, my parents lost their Blue Cross supplemental insurance. I called Medicare to find out about enrolling them in one of the Medicare programs, but they kindly advised that the enrollment period was over and we would have to wait till the next period to get them enrolled. "La-di-da," you might say, as I think I did. We'll just wait until next November to enroll them and get by with paying for the drugs till then.

Even after caring for my parents for several years and writing a book about the experience, I was oblivious to the REAL cost of the drugs that keep them ticking. Yes, I read all the AARP Bulletins, the articles published in the Wall Street Journal and other newspapers and have seen many TV news stories about the high costs of pharmaceuticals. I knew that people relying on Social Security as their only income had trouble paying for their drugs. But the actual cost was transparent to me because we never paid a dime for my parents' medications thanks to the Blue Cross program. It never occurred to me that we could lose their insurance. Bad Shannon.

I thought there had been a huge mistake when the first of my mom's monthly pharmacy bills came in at $759. My sister got one for Jack and it was around $1400. This was not a fun thing for any of us - and we couldn't get them on an insurance plan that would cost any less in premiums than we were paying in drugs.

I wrote on my 2007 calendar for November 15th to be sure and register Mom for Medicare Drug Coverage, with a note that I would have until December 31st to do it. When November 15th rolled around, I had to get my hair cut and attend two business appointments. The next day I had work deadlines and some friends to pick up at the airport. That weekend was my grandson's birthday party and other festivities. And then it was all the planning and food prep for Thanksgiving. Needless to say, the Medicare enrollment was pushed from day to day to day right through Christmas and my birthday...until yesterday morning when I abruptly sat up in bed and said to Gary, "EGADS, it's almost New Year's Eve and I haven't gotten the drug coverage for Mom." My priorities for the day were instantly shuffled. I wasn't going to let my penchant for procrastination cost us thousands of dollars.

I spent three hours bumbling around the Medicare web site trying to figure out how to register online. Frustrated and feeling as if carpal tunnel was taking over my wrists, I finally picked up the phone and called 1-800-MEDICARE. I was on hold for 15 minutes - not horrible in my circumstance. At last, a human being named Loretta answered and patiently walked me through the registration process. I even got a confirmation number. Mom's drug coverage starts on January 1st - next week!

My next conversation was with my sister. Far as I know, she's working on Jack's coverage as I write this, although she needs more info than I did because Jack takes dozens of meds and Mom only takes 10. I'm just happy that I could do some of the initial learning for her to make his registration a faster process. Most of all, I'm happy I met the deadline. It's something that always brings a sense peace to writers like me. At least until the next one...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home