My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Thursday, December 04, 2008

The KTG

Hey - tonight I attended a KTG! Doesn't that sound like the KGB? I loved spy novels as a young adult. Alas, the KTG gathering this evening was simply six women who call themselves a "Kitchen Table Group," an offshoot of the larger women's organization I belong to called WomanSage (www.womansage.org).

This was my first experience of a KTG. There are dozens of KTGs within WomanSage. Our gang of six had a really good time together at the lovely home of our hostess, hanging out and talking politics, sex, manners, food and pets, among other subjects, while enjoying excellent food and wine.

The KTG concept was hatched by Jane Glenn Haas, founder of WomanSage. After conducting a survey about women at midlife, Jane learned that we in the fifty-plus range haven't cultivated many girlfriends. We have a gazillion business associates and networking contacts, but not too many friends who can sit with us around a kitchen table and have a good old serious conversation about a timely topic. I loved tonight's KTG with my girlfriends - Sylvia, Mary, Jane, Linda and Nell - and I'm in for the next one. I hope they liked my salad as much as I enjoyed Nell's nuts, Linda's meatballs and Sylvia's chili.

I'd like to suggest to ALL my girlfriends around the world (namely Freddi, Margaret, Carol and Sharon) that you consider forming this kind of group. If you need help or suggestions about how to create a KTG, please email me. That's for you, Lu Ann and Victoria, Marian and Nancy, Linda and DJ! It's a great way to spend an evening, learning from your girlfriends and yourself about what makes life tick right now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Shannon, I agree. All my girlfriends keep moving to the Mainland!!! ALL of them. How do you start?
KC:-)

2:26 AM  
Blogger Shannon Ingram said...

Hi KC - Jane Haas, WomanSage founder, has grandchildren on Maui. She just returned from there. I'll ask her if she has a suggestion for you on how to start a KTG and will get back to you!

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auntie Shannie,
I do that with my friends...it's called Tea Tuesday. The tea is really alcoholic though. Love you.
-Lindsey

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home