My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Always a Bridesmaid

I've had the "27 Dresses." I've been a bridesmaid dozens of times and at post half-century age, I'm still graciously accepting the honor of standing up for my friends. Today I enjoyed being an attendant for my oldest (a.k.a. "longest time") friend, Gaye, as she married her partner of many years, Rick. A renowned astrologer, Gaye is known as the "Professional Fairy Godmother," so you know this had to be a GREAT wedding!

Gaye and I met on the beach at the North end of Collins Avenue on Balboa Island when we were barely four years old. I recall talking with a freckle-faced girl with the same pixie haircut I had and deciding we should build a sandcastle together. I also remember that her lovely mother had two other children - a boy and a girl - on a tether - each in a harness with a buckle that connected to a single longer strap. When we arrived at the beach, my mother gasped, "My goodness, that clever woman has her twins on a leash." She also had my fellow pixie, Gaye, freely making a drip castle near the water's edge. I went right to Gaye. We enjoyed countless hours playing in the sand and water that day while our mothers chatted. Somehow, even then, Gaye and I knew we would be friends forever.

Our families kept in touch over the years following those days of sandcastles, hula hoops and frozen bananas on Balboa Island. Our parents became close friends. Gaye's daddy was a famous professional musician and my dad was a talented musician who simply enjoyed any opportunity to make music.

As children, Gaye and I relished memorable times together in the company of musical genius, thanks to our fathers. We also had fun times on the TV show, "Chucko the Clown." Chucko was a friend of Gaye's mother, Anne, a CBS executive.

At many of Gaye's birthday parties, and those of her twin siblings, Amy and Harmon, my brother, John, and I had "up close and personal" experiences of another genius - a "clown" who stopped by to entertain us and then hung out with the adults in the backyard. In the weeks after these parties, I remember how exciting it was when Mommy and Daddy would bring us into their bedroom at night to watch this same clown on TV. His name was Red Skelton.

Sad things happened in our lives. My parents divorced when I was 14. Gaye's father passed away when she was in her early 20's. The good news? Our mothers remained close through thick and thin, which helped Gaye and me cling to our friendship for dozens of years. Good things happened too. We always kept in touch, even with a single holiday card. When Gary and I moved back to California, we connected with Gaye and Rick, and our friendship blossomed in new, increaingly meaningful ways.

I'm ecstatic for Gaye and Rick on their wedding day. In this season of Thanksgiving, with so many good astrological things happening that I can't begin to explain because I'm not Gaye, I'm happy that my friends truly "tied the knot" and were joined in marriage after years of partnership. They are blessed. I am blessed to have been a bridesmaid again...for a truly divine couple. And I loved my dress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home