My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Simple Abundance

This year, Thanksgiving was heralded by good news for us. We closed escrow on our house and two days later, we found a sweet rental home in Mission Viejo with a huge yard and a landlord that will accept our pets as well as Gary's cigars in the garage. It's very close to the home of my cousin and best friend since childhood, Dru, and her husband, Larry, so we will always have trustworthy people to feed Molly Cat when we are out of town. We'll spend a year figuring out where we'd like to buy our next home, closer to our workplaces.

We couldn't be more grateful if we won the lottery. We're paying off credit card debt and medical bills, and getting back to basics. It's all about simple abundance. We have simple abundance galore: family, both immediate and extended, that we adore; good - no, make that GREAT - friends; entertaining pets; jobs; faith; our church; food in the fridge; cable TV; good tequila and wine; Ashton cigars; cars that run; memories we can turn to for laughs; reading glasses; ok health; forgiveness; music; football; each other to snuggle on cold nights; and we'll continue to have a roof over our heads that isn't mobile. Obviously, schmaltz figures prominently in simple abundance.

I'm not writing a holiday letter for 2008. Instead, I'm going to blog every day till Christmas with some little tidbit about this past year that you may find interesting, funny or somehow compelling. I'll have to print the postings for Mom and Jack, or maybe I'll write a holiday letter that's just for them. They don't do computers (or ATMs, DVD players, etc.).

After a long Thanksgiving day and night, I reflected on what I consider to be my greatest gifts this year. Here they are, Letterman-style...

10. WomanSage - Friendships, education, fun and inspiration for women like me - middle aged and hormone deficient. It's a great organization and I'm proud to be on the Board.

9. Poudre - The big "Bro" crossed over to hang with his first love, Bruce, and torment my cat-fearing Gammie on the other side. He was my 18-lb. baby kitty for 18 years. I miss him; and I'm happy he left the planet peacefully after enjoying a big bowl of pureed tuna.

8. Church - The Center for Spiritual Living Orange County is a source of joy and contentment. How many churches can pull off a murder-mystery fundraiser? It's home.

7. Bindi Sue Ingram - The stout little Corgi-Queensland Heeler mix makes life miserable for Vanna and Molly and makes Gary and me laugh uncontrollably.

6. Gary's Recovery - Gary has a mighty heart that fortunately didn't give up, although it gave us a mighty scare. Unfortunately, his cardiologist told him he could still smoke cigars. Maybe the mighty doc didn't realize that Gary inhales.

5. Jobs - I love my job, which is the most honoring thing I can say. I love Gary's job too; and together we will love it even more when the economy turns around.

4. The Home Sale - We are celebrating the courage we summoned to list the house, sell it and now to move on. Everyone said we were crazy. Duh.

3. Amazing Friends - Several dear ones - you know who you are - stepped up this year to help us when we really needed the support, but were afraid to ask. You "paid it forward" and in so doing taught us an invaluable lesson about receiving with grace and gratitude and doing what's "highest and best." We will remember always.

2. Our Grandchildren - Kendall Emilie Ingram - we call her "Keiki" - made her debut in the world on March 14th, joining her big brother, Keegan, a.k.a. "Moose" who's been the light of our lives for the past four years. Today eight-month-old Keiki sat on the floor of my living room and made loud fart noises by blowing her tongue between her itty bitty lips, like a giant whoopee cushion. It doesn't get any better.

1. My Brother, John - This Thanksgiving weekend, I can sleep peacefully at night knowing my brother is still my friend. His absence was like an open wound these past few years. His daughter, Lindsey, now 21, is always number one in our lives, blessing us with her presence and love. This year John and I faced our mom's mortality and frailty together and found comfort in renewed communication. Now, every conversation we have, no matter how few and far between, is like a giant glob of Neosporin on my soul.

With simple abundance, gratitude and love to all....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home