My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Blessed are Those...

My minister, the inspirational Reverend Sandy Moore of the Center for Spiritual Living-Orange County, had a great message yesterday. She started off her talk with a quote from Ernest Holmes, which I'll paraphrase: "Blessed are those who give without remembering and who receive without forgetting."

This year I have experienced the most amazing gifts from people who helped us during difficult times. I'll never forget them. They taught me about humility and dignity and unconditional love, as well as about fear and how it feels to make the right decision.

Reverend Sandy asked us to think about what it is we REALLY want to accomplish. She asked, "Where do you need to deepen the questions in your life?" I need to deepen my questions about the importance of health and well-being, physical and emotional, and why I have experienced the drama that has taken hold of our lives this past year. It feels like we're almost through the storm; but who knows? I want to accomplish peace of mind and wellness.

The answer that keeps coming up for me is that for my health and well-being, I must let go of what I think life is supposed to be like at this point and just allow it to evolve. This was my little inner Q&A: Why does it matter that Gary's job doesn't pay as much money as we think we need it to pay? He likes it. Why do I worry about not spending enough time with Mom and Jack? They are safe. Why feel guilty about working long hours? I love my job and I love to write. So what if we can't buy a home for a few years, or even never again? That's why God made rental homes. What's keeping me from choosing a healthy diet and exercise regimen? Fear of the answers to all the other questions. So there's the resolution.

It really is all good when you think in terms of possibilities instead of difficulties. One of Sandy's last comments yesterday was, "There's no such thing as a broken heart, only a place that lets light come in. The bigger the crack, the bigger the opportunity for more light."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home