My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Christmas Catheter

The Hallmark Channel and the Family Channel are already broadcasting those corny holiday movies that I love - the sappier the better. I watch them late at night while Gary is sleeping. I'd much rather fall asleep crying because Santa Claus brought a new mom to a needy little boy than crying about the mortgage industry going to hell and the daily death toll in Iraq.

Last night as I watched a TV movie called "The Christmas List," I began wondering if I could write my own sappy holiday script. I came up with a good one - "The Christmas Catheter." It's about a grumpy 90 year-old man with prostate problems who makes life miserable for everyone around him, especially his angelic caregivers, who pray for better days. Their prayers are answered when Doc Santa inserts a catheter and the old man actually feels better. The caregivers celebrate together by making a snowman out of unused Depends and put it in the old man's living room, while singing "Frosty the Snowman."

I know the story needs work, but hey, it's a start. Don't expect me to be crossing the Writer's Guild picket lines. I'll have to wait till next year to pitch this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home