My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Friday, November 23, 2007

The Underwear Christmas

My family is pinching pennies this holiday season mostly due to the high costs of assisted living for my parents. We have lived large for many years, and we are so grateful for all the good things happening in our lives that we can't feel too bad about not being the first in line at Best Buy or Nordstrom this morning, or anytime this year. Gone are the extravagant holidays of the past, with one exception. We still have an abundance of love and laughter to share.

Forty years ago when I was in high school, my mom was doing her best to support my brother, John, and me after our dad had left her with a bankrupt business, huge debts and nothing but a roof over our heads. The day after Thanksgiving, she sat us down and informed us there wouldn't be any money for Christmas gifts. We cried together, and then Mom suggested we bake some cookies and listen to Bing Crosby. John worked as a "box boy" at El Rancho Market and I babysat to bring in extra cash so we could buy a Christmas tree. On Christmas Eve, my grandmother came to stay with us and brought us flannel pajamas. We sang songs and watched "White Christmas" on TV. The next morning, John and I were surprised to find gifts under the tree. Mom had bought new underwear for us. She also gave John a small electric vacuum cleaner so he could make money washing cars in the neighborhood. And I got a new iron, which we needed anyway, but Mom made it sort of fun by wrapping it and letting me open it as a gift. What I remember most is that we laughed constantly. John kept saying, "Wow, Mom, GREAT UNDERWEAR!" In the history book of our lives, that is one of my most memorable Christmas celebrations because it brought us closer together.

Today, as our family faces another "underwear Christmas," I am immensely thankful my mom and stepdad are here to share it with me. Mom and I laughed about it yesterday at our family Thanksgiving feast. The laughter was good medicine because sadly, John isn't with us any more. Don't get me wrong - he's alive, just not in touch with us. He has his reasons, which we don't understand; but I think he knows we still love him very much and are grateful for the years we spent together through thick and thin. Maybe I'll send him a gift-wrapped three-pack of boxer shorts to break some ice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home