My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Next?


I love the power and simplicity of a one-word question. This one - "Next?" - is about change and movement. It's about welcoming something new, even scary, because it's what you have to do.

Who's next? What's next? Are you next? Am I next?

Sometimes there is a little fear of the unknown in asking the question. Yet if you've just completed a fulfilling conversation, then maybe it's a question of excitement, delight, even love.

Tonight I'm thinking about U.S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, lying in a hospital bed in Tucson, breathing on her own and holding hands with her husband, astronaut Mike Kelly. Both of them are staying present, yet somewhere in their experience is that question about what's next. I'm thinking about a dear and treasured friend who left a job last week to move onto something new and I'm very aware that this question is a positive one for him and everyone who loves him. I'm thinking about my soul sister, Sandy Moore, whose book debuts February 1st and everyone who knows and loves her wants it to be a best-seller. "Next" is what will be revealed.

My own experience of this question is both exhilarating and scary as I embrace moving to a new home, a new neighborhood and a new perspective about how the days, months and years of my life will unfold. I'm embracing changes with trepidation, remembering that LOVE is greater than fear. Oh yeah.

Things change. We change. Sometimes "next" is something mysterious. And sometimes "next" is the same old thing, but maybe with different colors. There's a gift in the answer to the question!

Next?

What's next for you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home