My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bucket List


Bill Clinton ranked "Being alive to see my grandchildren" high on his "bucket list." That made me think how lucky I am to have two precious grandchildren when I never had any children of my own. I relish my role as "Granny Shanny" - or "Gray Shay" as my two-year old granddaughter, Kendall, calls me. I liked "Shay Shay" even more, but that was a month ago and her r's are way better now. Whatever, it's good to have grandchildren, Bill! We went to the lake last weekend and built sandcastles. It doesn't get any better than that.

I also started thinking about what's on my personal bucket list. Gary's having a "big" birthday next month and we're beginning to discuss stuff like where and how we want to live when we're 80. Contrary to our parents' way of thinking, we love the idea of living with a bunch of people our age and being waited on. We don't particularly like the thought of giving up driving, but that's a long way off at this point! I doubt I'd mind surrendering my car keys if bus service was good and had decent heat or air-conditioning. Most of the elderly folks I know are always cold, so I'm determined to be prepared for that.

My bucket list: Botox, all the latest I-stuff from Apple, visit Australia, take a cruise every year, write another book, keep working till I kick the bucket. After all, I did most of my bucket stuff when I was in my 20's, 30's, 40's - sailing around the Caribbean, scuba-diving and snorkeling, traveling to Europe and Africa, climbing mountains in Colorado, skiing at some of the world's best slopes, sampling the best food on the planet, living in Hawaii, swimming with dolphins, owning wonderful homes, working at Disneyland, meeting a gazillion celebrities. There's really not much left except to have fun with Gary and the grandchildren and stay healthy. Life is a bucket of cherries. I think I'll go buy some now...

1 Comments:

Blogger Auntie J's Apothecary said...

You are a lucky, lovely woman Shannie. It is a blessing to have you as a friend!

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home