My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Easter Joy


This was my first Easter without my mom. There were years when I lived out of state, but when I wasn't flying home for a family Easter celebration in the desert, I was talking on the phone with Mom about what we were going to wear to church or brunch or about grandchildren, coloring eggs and who would find the prize golden egg. We also talked about the importance of the Easter message - sacrifice, hope, resilience, resurrection. And we always enjoyed our Easter egg malted milk balls and if we were lucky, a chocolate fudge egg from See's Candies.

Getting ready for church on Easter morning, I had to shed a few tears in the shower, grieving that sweet Mom and Jack, my beloved stepdad, were not here to enjoy the celebration with me and our family. Suddenly, mid-sob, the sun peaked through the window above the shower and I just knew it was a sign. Mom was encouraging me to get out there and have a good day with the family. It was going to be a great day and I should focus on being "Granny Shanny." So that's what I did. And it worked because we had a fabulous day in our backyard with kids and dogs running around and lots of adults sipping punch or Mimosas. Even the earthquake didn't dampen our spirits, although it was cause for the iPhones and "crackberries" to come out of purses and pockets as we sought information about the epicenter. We said a little prayer for the safety of those in the hardest-hit area.

This was a simpler Easter than in years past. It felt more blessed, too. We are grateful for the family and friends who surround us with love, for our work that allows us to play on a special Easter Sunday. I still smile thinking about "Papa and Kendall" pictured here in matching outfits. Actually our granddaughter, Kendall, matched her mommy, daddy and brother and we took photos of them under a tree in the backyard prior to the egg hunt. I topped off the celebration with a handful of colorful Easter egg Whoppers - yum!

Life is good, and somewhere my mom is smiling knowing that she still made a positive difference in my Easter experience.

2 Comments:

Blogger cculb said...

Shannon, I was reading your blog about this Easter being your first without your mom. I'm really sorry to know this. She sounded like a wonderful, loving mom, and I can only imagine how much you miss her.

I also wanted to share this special organization with you...Remembering Mom. I just learned about it myself a few days ago: www.rememberingmom.org

Be well,
Cheryl Culbertson
Elder Options of Texas

4:08 PM  
Blogger Shannon Ingram said...

Thank you Cheryl! Will check it out.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home