My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Groundhog Day

My experience of Mom's recent health challenges as a result of her falls is like a way slow version of the movie, Groundhog Day. After her first fall, Mom went to the ER, then to a rehab facility, then to skilled nursing and finally went home. A few days later she fell again and now we're in the exact same pattern. She even had the same ambulance drivers for every move both times - the ones who tell her she's pretty. Mom has been in good ol' rehab for nearly a week now and will be going to the same skilled nursing facility today or tomorrow for who knows how long. The rehab doc says probably one to two weeks. Amazingly, I never took either the rehab place or the SNF out of my cell phone contacts list the first time. Perhaps I should do that immediately after her next discharge from the SNF.

Speaking of SNF - that's jargon in the health care and senior services industry. Everyone here at Silverado Senior Living refers to a skilled nursing facility as "sniff" - that's how it sounds. I finally figured out what people meant by "sniff" - which had nothing to do with coming down with a cold. Now I get to use this catchy term when I speak with Mom's doctors and nurses, which makes me feel very cool (as in savvy, not cold). I love my job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home