My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Friday, November 16, 2007

Oh Happy Day

The Orange Coast Daily Pilot featured a story about me and my book this past week. I enjoyed the interview with reporter Sue Thoensen. I found myself wanting to interview her. She's close to my age, but she looks 40. Talking with her was such fun that I didn't want to leave to go pick up Mom for a planned afternoon outing.

Recently, I told Mom that I wasn't going to call her every day, or come see her as often as I do if she was going to complain all the time. She had been complaining about not being able to go to Mervyn's for the Wednesday sales because I have to work and can't drop everything to take her shopping. Hospital yes; shopping no. And then she complained about not having any money. "The least you could do is try to be happy," I said during a particularly crabby phone call last week. "You have a lovely place to live, you have a dog, you have Saint Norma to do your makeup every day, you have friends and the food is good there. You have Happy Hour on Fridays and wine with dinner every night," I added. "But Jack is such a grouch," she countered. "Stop focusing on the crap in your life, Mom. It will just get crappier." She heaved a big sigh and said "OK," in a higher than usual Minnie Mouse pitch that I call her "WHATEVER" voice.

The next day, Mom called around 10 AM. When I answered, she said "Hello. I'm happy." Then she added that she would be happier if I would come out and take her to Kohl's, which of course, I couldn't do that day. The following day, when I went to visit, she smiled and said, "Hello dear. I'm happy today." After a few days of this "I'm happy" attitude adjustment, I picked her up for the outing following my Daily Pilot interview. Amazingly, she was the happiest she has been in months! She was all smiles and didn't even complain when I accidentally added milk to her coffee. She said, "I'll try it this way for a change." Oh shocking happy day! We had a wonderful time that afternoon, enjoying a "Timeless Melodies" program of patriotic American music in celebration of Veteran's Day at the Oasis Senior Center in Corona del Mar.

Shifts happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home