My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Sex & Synchronicity

Does the title of this message tickle your imagination? Dr. Pepper Schwartz, renowned author (The Great Sex Weekend, Everything You Know about Love and Sex is Wrong, Prime), professor of sociology and expert on the subject of relationships and sex, was the afternoon keynote speaker at the WomanSage conference I attended this past Saturday in Anaheim. Dr. Schwartz happened to be in the morning breakout session I had chosen, facilitated by Dr. Mary Furlong, author of Turning Silver into Gold, and leading authority on the baby boomer marketplace. I've seen Dr. Schwartz on Oprah. She's one of Oprah's frequent guests and I'm always amused by her comments. Dr. Furlong founded "Third Age Media" and my dear friend, Dr. Ann Harwood of Montana, knows Dr. Furlong and her work. Ann is the person who suggested I go to the breakout session.

So here I was in a small meeting room with two women that I truly admire. Why not go and talk with them? Better yet, why not give them each a copy of my book, The Heart Way-A Journey from Corporate to Care? I've been chutzpah-deficient for the past year or so, probably because of unsettling rejections and an extra 10 pounds. But on this day, I walked right up to both women after the breakout session (which was fantastic), introduced myself and chatted. Dr. Schwartz mentioned that she is a professor at the University of Washington. I shared with her that my niece, Lindsey, is a junior at UW and I would like to refer her to the good professor's class. After all, what college student is not interested in sex? OK, maybe there are a few.

When I left the conference after Dr. Schwartz's delightful and very informative talk about sex after age 50, I called Lindsey in Seattle. She didn't answer, so I left a message telling her I had given a copy of my book to Dr. Pepper Schwartz of UW. Lindsey called back about five minutes later and said, "Auntie Shannie, I'm in her class right now, this term. She's my favorite professor. I'll go and talk to her after the next class and tell her that I'm featured in the book you gave her. That is so cool." Yes, only because it's Pepper Schwartz, this kind of synchronicity just has to be HOT!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home