My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

My "New" Car

A couple of weeks ago, before Silverado's corporate retreat, I found out my '02 Explorer needed a new transmission. I have known that was coming ever since I paid off the car loan in December. I've never paid off a car loan before this one. Cars bored me after three or four years and I would always trade them in on something new. This car hung in there with me because I didn't have a garage here in CA for the past six years. Well, I had a garage, but it was full of other stuff and there was no room for a car. I simply couldn't justify buying a new car and having it sit out on the street. So I stuck with my good old Explorer till the loan was paid in full.

The second I dropped that stamped envelope with my final car payment into the mailbox at the Costa Mesa Post Office, my car became a ticking time bomb. I heard voices in my head telling me that my car was going to blow up and break down on I-5, leaving me stranded or crunched by a semi. I admit to thoughts of waking up on the pavement, bruised from the airbag and realizing my car was going to cost thousands of dollars to repair. One night I woke up in a cold sweat because I'd been dreaming of driving my car without brakes toward a cliff overlooking the Newport Back Bay. When my car actually started jerking a bit on acceleration late in January, I knew exactly what it was - "car doomsday." And I was right.

The mechanics at Santa Margarita Ford diagnosed my 113K mile engine as needing a new transmission to the tune of $4200 because of the 4-wheel drive. When we said "no thanks," they called back to say they could get it down to $2900. Gary said that was "more like it." I said, "I'll buy a new car."

Gary suggested having my car detailed so it would look pretty when we went to trade it in. When it was finished, I marveled that it hadn't looked so good in years. I spent four hours one night researching the Ford Edge and Ford Flex online. Next we went to look at them at the dealership.

When it came down to doing the deal, we learned that we would have to trade in my Explorer and put another $5K down in order to have a new car payment that was only slightly more than my old car payment. Faced with that reality, I thought about the $2900 for the new transmission and looked at my pretty old Explorer. I changed my mind on the spot. My old car was suddenly splendid, and it was even better when I drove it home with its excellent new transmission.

This was a very big deal for me to choose the old car over a new one. We probably didn't help the economy that much; but I know some happy mechanics. We did our best to boost the economy a few days later with the purchase of another flat screen TV for our bedroom. Everyone in my family is happy, including my Explorer which right now is sitting in the driveway smiling at me in gratitude.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon,

When I left the USA forever in
2005, I sold a 1988 Volvo, A
1982 Volvo and a 1995 Infinity
Q45, they were all old when purchased and ran like tops. Maintenance is everything. I have always had a GREAT mechanic. Those car payments are killers. It's so nice to NOT have one. NOW I do, as you don't know yet, I'm drviving a FORD truck... :-) First American Vehicle I've ever owned...it's great. Send my love to the old car.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home