My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Friday, January 23, 2009

A Cruise for Caregivers


Gary and I just returned from a five-day/four-night cruise on the Carnival Paradise out of Long Beach with a couple of dozen family caregivers. Many of the caregivers (some of them pictured here) were fully paid guests of WomanSage, the non-profit mentoring organization for women over 45, thanks to a grant from Dr. Al Gobar. Several WomanSage Board Members (like me, founder Jane Glenn Haas and Dr. Marilyn Ditty from South County Senior Services) were on the cruise and we had a WONDERFUL time! Gary was one of about six men in the entire group which numbered almost 60.

I spent most of yesterday interviewing some of the caregivers. I plan to edit the interviews and air them via the WomanSage web site (www.womansage.org). Every interviewee was in tears at least once during our conversation. I was emotionally exhausted by the end of the day. Ninety percent of the women are caring for a spouse or parent with Alzheimer's Disease or dementia. What a rewarding experience to take them on a lovely cruise and give them some time for themselves. We made new friends and had lots of fun on the ship including spa treatments and great food. Carnival was surprisingly good - way better than my low expectation of the "party boat."

The second I stepped outside the cruise ship terminal this morning after disembarking, my phone started ringing with questions or information about my stepdad, Jack. He is now in a Santa Ana skilled nursing community and on hospice. Medically, his health is declining rapidly. The Hospice nurses tell us he may only be alive for a few more days. Mom doesn't understand this. She's very confused and thinks he's coming home soon.

Our family welcomes any and all prayers. Beyond requesting prayer, I'm simply grateful to have been able to go on the cruise, and to have been a caregiver who could truly relate to the women who joined us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home