My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Support in Large Doses

I've relished all the e-mail messages from friends and family about the passing of my dear stepdad, Jack. I use the word "stepdad" lovingly because Jack served as my "real dad" for over 35 years. He walked me down the aisle twice and was there for me on many occasions when I needed a daddy's loving counsel. He and Mom could fight like a cat and dog, but they always patched things up, which gave some stability to my extended family life over the years. My stepsister, Meg, is not really "step" to me - she's my sister. We don't always agree on stuff, which can be said for most sisters I know. We adore one another's families and wind up being there for each other when it's important. We've been very close during the past few weeks of Jack's journey. I'm very grateful for that sisterly camaraderie.

Support in large doses works wonders when someone is grieving or confused. My mom is getting it from the members of her community at the wonderful Brookdale Inn at the Park in Irvine, CA. This is an assisted living community that cares about its residents and who's residents care about one another. I have enjoyed my interaction with the staff for several years now, and their ongoing support is part of the reason I sought employment in the field of senior care. I knew from working with them how rewarding a career in this realm of health care can be. If it were not for the Inn at the Park, I would never have found my current career position at Silverado Senior Living (www.silveradosenior.com), working marketing wonders for a company that cares deeply for people with memory-impairing diseases such as Alzheimer's. It's no wonder that some of the most invaluable support I've received in the past couple of days has been from my associates here at Silverado and from my Mom's "community" at the Inn at the Park. I doubt my mom would be getting out of bed each day this week were it not for the help and reassurance of the team of professionals and her resident friends at the Inn.

If you are struggling with a decision to move an aging parent or relative into assisted living (because in my experience, they seldom want to move of their own volition), remember this piece about support in large doses. Once they have moved, they will ultimately adjust and finally grow to love the lifestyle. And when something awful happens, they will have the comfort of lots of friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home