My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Sunrise Sunset


My wonderful brother-in-law, Robert Walker, turned 91 in August. Robert's wife, Evelyn, is the sister of my late husband, Bruce Stewart. I met them in 1975 and we have been close ever since, even after Bruce's death in 1995. We had many fun times together - trips to Ensenada in Robert's van, with stops at La Fonda (our favorite little hotel on the cliffs) and Tijuana. Once in Tijuana, Bruce bought a parrot and brought it across the border in two clay pots. Evelyn and Robert sat in the back seat of the van and I was in the passenger seat. We smiled like "Stepford People," shaking in our boots and praying the parrot wouldn't squawk and send us all to one of those notoriously horrific Mexican prisons. Bruce offered the border patrolman a piece of cactus candy. I almost wet my pants, but the patrolman actually smiled and accepted the treat. The parrot was a "gift" for Bruce's hairdresser at the time. He gave it to her in exchange for "free haircuts for a year." Unfortunately, she moved to Phoenix six weeks later and took the illegal parrot with her. So much for barter.

The Walker's have always loved traveling. They visited Bruce and me in Hawaii many times. We enjoyed showing them the sites and sharing all the great foods of the Pacific and Asia. They have relished several trips to France for D-Day memorial celebrations. Robert, a jovial soul, was interviewed for a 50th Anniversary of D-Day network TV special. He even smiled as he described going ashore with people dying all around him, because Robert loves to smile! His cup has always been half full.

Robert was hospitalized last week with an inoperable aortic aneurysm. The doctors tell us he doesn't have much time left on earth. Robert still manages to smile. Evelyn is relying on the incredible support of her daughters, Janine and Kathleen, both of whom are my age. I'm happy to be here to help Janine with suggestions about hospice and home care and humorous stories to lighten their load.

This past Sunday, after I had talked several times with Janine, Gary and I went for a boatride with our friends, Linda and Bob. The sunset was lovely and had a magical quality about its reflection on the bay. I felt Bruce's presence in the sunset on the harbor. He was reminding me of the comparable beauty that comes not only with the dawn of life at sunrise, but also as it ends, at sunset. I believe Robert knows that too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home