My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Diversions and Drugs

Today Mom had her fourth eye surgery in five years. She has now had glaucoma surgery and cataract surgery on both eyes. She complained today that her right eye is her good eye and "they shouldn't be operating on it." I could see her point, but did my best to help her understand that it wouldn't be her good eye much longer without the operation. She asked about it again five minutes later, so I went and got her another warm blanket. I've learned that diversion is an excellent tool when dealing with a person suffering from dementia. It makes things less frustrating for everyone. Apparently she became more agitated when they took her into the operating room, so the "gas man" gave her an extra dose and I guess that worked too. I don't use that tool, so I'll stick with diversion. She slept a long time in the recovery room, but finally woke up to have some cranberry juice and ask for vodka to go with it. I knew she would be fine then. She's home resting tonight and tomorrow we'll go to the doc's office for the post-op. With my luck, everyone there will be riding in electric wheelchairs and I'll have to figure out a magical kind of diversion to avoid that conversation again! Maybe the gas man can help. JUST KIDDING.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home