My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Knee Deep in Summertime


Just because I'm now bloggin' on VibrantNation.com doesn't mean I won't continue to post here. This is my home and I share anything (within reason). So today I'm sharing about my new favorite song.

Every once in awhile a song comes into my life that I just can't get enough of. It becomes a magnificent obsession. Amazingly, even after I stop listening to it a gazillion times a day, even after it falls off my iPod shuffle, even after I no longer turn up Pandora or the radio when it comes on, it makes me smile and brings happy memories. My last obsession song was "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz. My all-time best list includes songs by the Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Brooks & Dunn, Whitney Houston and the more obscure Michael Feinsten and even Bobby McFerrin. My maestro of obsession tunes is the inimitable Jimmy Buffett. Yes, I am a Proud Parrothead.

Yesterday, while riding home from a fabulous classic car show on a sunny summer day in Dana Point, California, a song came on my favorite country radio station that caused Gary to start bouncing in his seat - quite a feat for someone his size! Neither of us had ever heard the song. The upbeat guitar pickin' turned into really fun lyrics that reminded me of life in the tropics. I didn't recognize the voice and noticed the singer changed at the second verse. That vocal shift caused me to grip the steering wheel and bounce in my own seat! Sure enough, it was the divine Mr. Buffett! When the song ended, I wanted it replayed immediately. Thankfully the DJ mentioned it was "Knee Deep" by the Zac Brown Band, so when we got home, I downloaded it to my iPhone.

I knew the name, Zac Brown Band. My kids are crazy about them. They go to their concerts with bunches of friends in big RV's and tailgate. Hmmm...I remember when I first heard that, it sounded like Jimmy Buffett concerts to me. And when I heard the "Knee Deep" song yesterday, it all made sense. Zac Brown is the kids' Jimmy Buffett. And that's OK!

Today I introduced my associates to "Knee Deep." They are all younger than my kids, and they are aware of how obsessive I get about my songs. I mean, c'mon, I wrote the Boomer Can-Can and must have played and sung it many dozens of times. They were good sports about that - hopefully not just because I'm their boss! Now they know this summer is going to be "Knee Deep" in Shannon's office.

How can you not love a song with a lyric like "The ocean is my only medication." Wow. Here, you be the judge and let me know what you think! Click on this great YouTube video with gorgeous pictures of the Exumas, posted by a brilliant soul named RumShopRyan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJbG7256ZLY

"And I think I might have found me my own kind of paradise..."
Link

1 Comments:

Anonymous mejor limpiador facial said...

Aw, this was a very nice post. In idea I wish to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make an excellent article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and not at all appear to get one thing done.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home