My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor....Fabulous


Just a quick post to mark the passing of the amazing Elizabeth Taylor. I always loved her work and her gorgeous violet eyes. Can you imagine how excited I was on the morning of February 27th 1992 to learn that I was being called to work with the media at "the hub" at Disneyland for Elizabeth's 60th birthday party in Fantasyland (of course)! One of the Disneyland publicists was ill that day, so they contacted me to work the event. I remember that I was in a drab brown suit, so I rushed over to Main Place Mall and bought a purple suit to wear because I knew it was Elizabeth's favorite color. Then I got to stand by the Sleeping Beauty Castle drawbridge under the bright lights with my walkie-talkie and help a stream of stars exit from their carriages and classic cars. It was great fun to take the hands of Shirley MacClaine and Liz Smith, to greet my "old friend" from Hawaii, Tom Selleck, and his wife, Jilly, and to give directions to David Bowie and Iman who arrived with Richard Gere and Cindy Crawford.

The thing I remember most is Barry Manilow playing the piano and all of the guests, media and Disney cast members singing "Happy Birthday." I stood next to Geena Davis, who was very tall and had the most beautiful complexion I had ever seen. And of course, just seeing the tiny Elizabeth (with her then-hubby Larry Fortensky) basking in all the attention was awesome.

I found this link online to an article that was written the day after that great party when I literally wished on a star: http://articles.latimes.com/1992-02-28/local/me-3127_1_liz-taylor/3

The fabulous Elizabeth Taylor will live on in my heart, that's for sure....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home