My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Alcatraz and Angry Birds

There's something wonderful about being a "wide-eyed learner" this lifetime. Discovering a new place, pastime or passion can be exhilarating at any age.

Recently, my husband and I spent a weekend in San Francisco. We've both been there many times, but we had never visited Alcatraz, the infamous island prison that closed several years ago and is now a historic tourist attraction. It was the thing we most wanted to do and we were able to get tickets online a few days before our trip. The day we went to Alcatraz was undoubtedly one of the most beautiful days I've ever experienced in the amazing city by the bay - warm, calm waters, blue sky, sailboats and sunshine.

The island did not disappoint. We took the audio tour of the cell blocks and enjoyed a leisurely stroll around the rest of the compound. I was amazed at the English garden that was planted for the prison's residential staff to enjoy and is still in bloom. It's a marked contrast to the run-down buildings and the sometimes terrifying stories of deadly prison breaks and angry inmates of the past.

Once back on the mainland, we walked around Fisherman's Wharf, had lunch at Nonna Rose's, drank wine and watched the gazillion tourists from the Disney Wonder cruise ship which was in port its the way to Alaska for the summer. There were almost as many tourists as there were pigeons and seagulls.

Which brings me to another new experience. This week I got an iPhone. Forget all the cool app's and fabulous graphics, I had to have it because I want to be able to play the game, "Angry Birds," with my grandson, Keegan. At six, he already has an iPhone - or maybe it's an iTouch - but anyway, he plays "Angry Birds" all the time. And now I do too. Today I told some of my associates at work that I may be a candidate for "Angry Birds" rehab. Marcelo replied, "Addiction runs deep!" The truth is, I find this little game to be quite stimulating and VERY funny. That's a good combination for a new pastime, but maybe I need to play outside a little more. I'm passionate about the outdoors too and it's still springtime during which the face of nature is new and different every day. And the birdies are pretty darned happy in my backyard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home