My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Friday, May 27, 2011

To Oprah with Love


I wrote a letter to Oprah last night. Work kept me from watching her final show, but I finally learned how to record using the DVR to be sure I could tape the show. Little did I know that DVR thing is so easy! And little did I know I would cry all the way through Oprah's finale.

My tears were mostly happy ones - happy because I've always been one of those silent Oprah fans who simply takes what she says, does and recommends and puts it to use in my own life. I wrote the letter because I wanted her to know that during the past two and a half decades she has been my therapist, mentor, minister and friend - without ever knowing me. And yet she has always spoken directly to me - to my heart, mind and spirit. She makes me laugh, too. Some of you know that I wrote about "Oprah therapy" in my book.

A few years ago, I met Stedman Graham at a "Wake Up, Succeed" conference here in Orange County. He was a keynote speaker. He was also very personable. I loved that he said something like, "Admit it. You're not here to listen to me. You're here to see Oprah's boyfriend." That brought the house down. I could tell then and there that Oprah and Stedman had a healthy relationship even with her being the more famous of the two. Standing next to him for a photo-op, I chose to simply smile, thank him and not say anything else. Later I had a flash that what I did was what Oprah would have done if she were standing next to my husband!

I'm really happy that Oprah is now showing us that it's okay to leave a comfortable and prosperous place to take a vacation, relax, refresh and move onto something new and even a little risky. Many Boomer women have an opportunity to do that now, whether or not they want the option. Some are being downsized. Others are starting new careers after age 50 as I did a couple of years ago.

Oprah has taught me that no matter how blindingly successful (or even terrible) a person appears, they are just a human like me. I choose my attitude. My attitude is positive thanks in part to what I continue to learn from Oprah.

Love you, Oprah. And from now on, I promise to use my DVR more often!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home