My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Friday, August 24, 2007

Bless the Beasts & the Children


One of the best ways to offset the distress of caring for elderly parents is to spend some time caring for children or pets! I know that sounds crazy because if you've spent several days with octogenarian Mom and Dad this week the way I have, it's hard to imagine that caring for 2-1/2 year-old Keegan, or a goofy pet such as our "grand-dog," Oreo, for an hour or two is going to be an antidote. Yet it's Keegan who makes me laugh while he demonstrates how he is learning to pull up his shorts by himself. It's Keegan who warms my heart when he climbs into Papa's lap with his blanky and waves at me. It's Oreo who shocks me into laughter when she busts out of our backyard gate only to run around to the front door and bark like crazy to get inside.

I think God put little children and pets in our lives to remind us that life is to be enjoyed, not feared. If you're sad, scared or depressed, import a child or a dog or kitten for a couple of hours and you will most certainly feel better. It's cheaper than drugs or a shrink, and it is indeed that simple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home