My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Is Life Good?

Yesterday was the anniversary of the most horrific day I can remember - and it was only six years ago - 9/11/01. I lost my first husband, Bruce, on 4/13/95 and that was an awful experience. I came home from a girl's night out at a blues concert in Denver to find him dead on the basement floor. It was catastrophic and traumatic and a long, sad story. But it was something I could grieve and get through - see the light on the other side of my sadness. It was a scale of grief that felt personal and between me and God.

The events of infamous 9/11 were on such a huge scale that I have never been able to get beyond it, really. I know it's been that way for EVERYONE in the New York City area as it was so "in your face" for all of them. It was personal for those of us in other states watching it on TV, but we grieved from afar, and when planes started flying again and baseball games returned to TV, we heaved a sigh and went into recovery mode. Not so easy for the folks in New York City.

Yesterday, 9/11/07 brought a scary experience for close friends of mine. I won't go into it, to protect their privacy, except to say that it involved parents and an adult child who felt life was no longer worth living. Wow, on 9/11, it was hard for me to argue that things are great all over. You know what I mean. Life feels good to me, even on my darkest days. But that's not how some kids see it. How do we demonstrate to our kids that life is indeed good - especially over the long haul? I'd like to hear from you with answers, even if you have to register to respond via google. Please help - I need to know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

At certain times in my life, I,too, have felt overwhelmed about sad circumstances. Some of those circumstances were out of my control (like 9/11) and some were not, like a significant weight gain. Over the years, with the hind sight that age affords me, I've realized that I feel most happy and alive when I am working toward something with a positive purpose...a purpose that helps not just me, but other people as well. When your heart and passion lead, and the mind and body follow, joy can be the ultimate result. Yes, life is good. Really good!

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home