My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Aloha to Elder Whining

I took care of grandson Keegan (2-1/2) for most of the weekend, plus had another house guest, my dear friend, Gaye Nelson, Hollywood astrologer to the stars (www.astrologytogo.com) who was conducting business in the OC. Yesterday was Grandparents Day, so how appropriate to spend Saturday night and Sunday with Keegan - and how fitting to get only two hours sleep because he was coming down with a cold. None of us slept that night, including Gaye, whose kind comment was simply "poor little guy had a rough night."

I had agreed to do the closing message at both church services yesterday and we took Keegan with us. We were home by 12:30 PM and Keegan's parents came to pick him up. Gary and I handed him off to his mommy, then headed immediately to bed for a nap before a dinner engagement at 6 PM. While we were recovering from the busy weekend with a short siesta, Mom called with one of her typical messages, in the whiniest possible tone, "Hello, this is your mother. I saw more of you when you lived in Hawaii." Click. She hadn't seen me since Thursday. I'm sure she had forgotten when she last saw me, so I didn't allow myself to get triggered when I listened to her cryptic message on the way out to dinner.

I called Mom when we got home, greeting her with a cheerful voice, "Aloha and thanks for the nice message."

She uttered a little groan of indignance. In her best "itty bitty boo" voice, she responded, "I never get to see you."

Determined not to get defensive, I said, "Well, isn't it nice that Meg and Hannah came down from the ranch to see you yesterday?" POOF! The whining stopped. I got to hear all about Meg and Hannah and when she finally asked what I had done all weekend, I told her I'd been babysitting for Keegan.

"You could have brought him out to see us," she said.

"I considered it, but decided not to because he has a cold."

"Oh," Mom replied, getting a little whiny again. "Well, you certainly spend more time with him these days than you do with us."

"Not true," I said. "I spend at least fwo full days a week with you and/or Jack, taking you to doctor's appointments, helping you with your shopping, taking you out to lunch or dinner and just stopping by to visit. I see Keegan once or twice a month."

"Oh," she said again. "Can we go to Mi Casa this week?"

"Yes," I answered.

"OK, that's good. But I still say I saw more of you when you lived in Hawaii."

"Aloha, Mom. Sweet dreams." I replied, continuing to disengage.

"Good night, dear." And she hung up. I doubt she will remember any of it tomorrow.

Thank God for therapy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home