My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Get over it



Gary has two favorite sayings: "Release it to the Universe" and "Get over it" (which happens to match his initials, GOI). I mentioned the first one in my book, as I've always found it helpful and motivating. I'm not as fond of the second one because he's usually telling me to get over something I'd rather dwell on and/or blow out of proportion, which is innate in my personality. While on our fishing trip to Oregon, I wanted to help with the cooking, because I like to cook. I haven't done much "gourmet" or what I now call "Top Chef" cooking the past few years because Gary likes simple fare. My ego was all over cooking with my friends at the lodge. I envisioned thrilling them with my competency in the kitchen, probably because I seldom invite anyone besides family members for meals at our home. So one afternoon when the other two couples were out fishing, I made a cheese appetizer that I'd recently taken to a "celebration of life" party following a memorial service. The appetizer is very "Southern comfort food" and I got the recipe out of Paula Deen's first cookbook. The folks at the memorial service had raved about it. Unfortunately, I had forgotten a key ingredient when I bought groceries in Klamath Falls and didn't want to make a 50-minute drive into town for that one item, so I winged it. It was one of those instances where you make something that you like, but then nobody wants to eat it, except you. And then the other two couples descended on the kitchen and got busy preparing a totally amazing, luscious fish dinner with grilled veggies and - hey - channeling Bobby Flay and the Silver Palate girls! I was asked to dip the fish in cornmeal, which I did, all the while thinking about my wretched big glob of cheddar cheese goop in the refrigerator. Gary came in to help cook the fish, but thankfully, one of the girls suggested the fish was getting too done. Gary likes it that way. I backed out of the kitchen and helped set the table instead of interfering with the Top Chefs. We had a fantastic meal - probably the best fish I've ever tasted. A couple of nights later, when we were packing to leave the next morning, I snuck into the kitchen and dumped my cheese crap down the drain. Afterwards, I told Gary that I just couldn't measure up to these chefs - and he told me to "get over it." Before I made the choice to stop dwelling on my appetizer fiasco, I had an "aha moment." I realized that for the time being, I must simply accept myself as a cheddar cheese woman in a goat cheese world. Then I released it to the universe and thanked "my friend," Paula Deen, whose recent memoir is titled, It Ain't All About the Cookin'. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home