My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Thanksgiving at the Ranch

I drove my parents to the Garner Ranch for Thanksgiving. It's been a family tradition for over 30 years, but last year we spent the holiday at my home instead, because my dad was recovering from a stroke and complications of diabetes. He's so much better this year that we decided to spend the day at the mountain ranch where my sister, Meg, lives with her husband, daughter, horses, cattle, chickens, geese and a unique assortment of dogs and barn cats. Meg and I agreed that our folks were not up to spending the night at the ranch. There are too many dangers for people who have serious balance issues and failing eyesight. It's no place for a walker because the ground around the houses is not level and it's hard to navigate. We decided that I could drive them up to the ranch early in the morning, which would allow them to enjoy a ranch breakfast, then have dinner in the late afternoon. My family and I were going on to Palm Desert for the weekend, so Meg said she would drive my parents back home to Irvine. It worked out beautifully, in spite of a few little issues with timing. We didn't eat until 6 p.m., which meant that everyone departed the ranch around 8:30. Thankfully, Meg and her family made the round-trip to Irvine in just four hours. The folks were delighted to be with children, grandchildren and great-grandson (age 1). A freelance writer for the Idyllwild Town Crier, Marcia Gawecki, joined us for breakfast. She had just completed a wonderful article about the Garner Ranch. Check it out at www.towncrier.com (you may have to search for "Jack Garner Reminisces"). It will probably be up for a week. It's interesting reading and made me think I should write a book about the ranch. Someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home