My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Lower the Bar

My friend and teacher, Tricia Kelly, a certified facilitator trainer, conducts a wonderful dream workshop that I attend every week. Tricia always says something brilliant and/or funny that I have to write down. Today she suggested that we lower the bar of our expectations for ourselves when the situation warrants it. In other words, sometimes we benefit from being a little less driven, a tad slower and a bit more introspective. Another pearl we discussed is that the thing that triggers you in another's behavior or actions is what you need to own in yourself. For instance, if you think someone is horribly catty, then you might want to check out cattiness in yourself and how you might be projecting. If you then "lower the bar" for yourself, you can say, "I am catty sometimes too, but I try not to be." One of Tricia's best lines today was, "The trouble with the unconscious is that we are unconscious of it." On that note, I will lower my own bar, leave the pitiful mess on my desk, crawl in bed and watch "The Amazing Race."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home