My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Creepy Crank Callers

Both Gary and I have been working practically 24/7 the past couple of weeks. He rises early and is out the door by 4:30 AM. I get up a bit later. He goes to bed around 8:30. I go to bed a LOT later. If we are lucky, we have dinner together and watch "Wheel of Fortune." We've both been working weekends, too - either on the real job stuff or the volunteer job stuff. Last night I discovered that we do indeed need to spend more time with each other.

While I was at a WomanSage Board Meeting, Gary received a call on his cell phone from an anonymous creep who made some nasty comments about Gary and me. It was very disturbing for Gary and when I came home, he let me know how upset he was. Thankfully, we communicate quite well after all these years, and we were able to get through the storm of negative emotions, albeit with some minor scars.

Both of us stayed awake most of the night trying to figure out who would make such a call. Who would know that kind of information, have Gary's phone number and be with a group of laughing men when the call was placed? Who would think that was funny? Who could be so immature and mean? Clearly, it's not for us to know at this point. An old friend of mine, Sue, wrote on my Facebook wall, "Look at it this way, you wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and you're not them! You're ahead!"

One thing this experience has awakened in my mind is what it's like to be hazed or stalked by someone you don't know who makes hurtful or untrue allegations seem true. I thought about the young girl who committed suicide by hanging herself after being plagued by mean messages on her MySpace page - messages that her family later discovered were left by the mother of one of her teenage girlfriends.

It's good to be able to suck it up and move on. But some people are more fragile than Gary and I are, and a message such as the one we got could have had more dire consequences. Shame on you, whoever you are. What goes around comes around...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home