My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County/CA

Musings of a woman who left her corporate career to become a caregiver for elderly parents, wrote a book and found her way back to corporate - with love, instead of fear, leading the way. Now working at my Alma Mater, UC Irvine, as Marketing and Communications Director for the School of Biological Sciences.

Monday, June 01, 2009

So Happy Together


We survived another road trip....barely. Drove up Highway 1 last week to visit our friends, Marianne and Brian, in Pebble Beach and do a little business at Silverado Senior Living - Belmont Hills. Why Highway 1? Because we've never done it together and it seemed like a fun idea. Not so much.

It was foggy, cold and drizzly for most of the trip and I was driving. I thought it would be nice if I drove and Gary could enjoy the scenery. Instead, Gary chain-smoked cigars, kept his eyes on the road or me, and complained endlessly about the other drivers, my penchant for sight-seeing while driving, the condition of the highway, why we were taking that route, blah-blah-blah F-ing blah. Hoping to improve his disposition, I suggested lunch in Cambria. Ordinarily a burrito is a source of great joy, but not this time, as you can see from the picture.

Anyone who knows Highway 1 between Morro Bay and Carmel is aware of the dozens of picturesque bridges, which to a bridge-phobic freak like me are right out of the scariest horror movie scenes. I faced my fear and drove across them anyway, white knuckles on the steering wheel and pedal to the metal. At least my mini panic-attacks momentarily stopped Gary's griping. He helped by suggesting I count the bike racks on the top of the car in front of us as we crossed the longest bridge.

From now on, Gary will drive, whether he wants to or not. If I have to drive, he will most certainly drive ME crazy. The good news is, we had a fabulous time with our friends. On Saturday night, we went to the Monterey Rock 'n Rod Festival and saw a performance by one of my favorite 60's groups, The Turtles. I read that at the height of their popularity, The Turtles played to stadium crowds of 55,000 people and more. There may have been 300 at this little concert. We had no trouble finding a good seat. The Turtles are now two old guys - a fat one with long, curly hair and a bald one with a white beard. I had to close my eyes when they sang, "Me and you, and you and me, no matter how they toss the dice, it had to be..." remembering those precious days in the '60's when I loved that song.

After a delightful weekend, Gary drove us home. We listened to a book on tape that Brian gave us. And thankfully, even after five days on the road, we remain "...so happy together."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home